Reid & Hughes Building
An anchor at the center of Norwich’s National Register downtown district, the Reid & Hughes building (1888) has been vacant and endangered for over a decade. The commitment of $150,000 from the Trust’s Revolving Loan Fund to the Women’s Institute toward pre-construction stabilization—the most difficult funding to obtain for a distressed historic property—helped leverage other investments from a consortium of partners, including LISC, CT Main Street, and Capital for Change.
Stabilization is a pre-requisite for construction financing toward the $6 million investment needed to adapt the 24,390 square foot commercial building to 20 residential units. The project will restore the exterior and reactivate a neglected urban core by providing housing for a range of incomes, including 10 units targeted toward veterans.